This step-by-step visual guide will show you how to setup and utilize Blackboard Blogs in your online classes.
If you are currently using any of the CampusPack products in your course you will need to setup new Blackboard versions of them before teaching your online courses in Fall of 2015.
What is a Blackboard Blog?
A Blackboard Blog is section within an online course where students can post information on various subjects, comment on each others posts, and engage in an online dialogue within an organized format that can utilizes text, links, photos, and videos. The entries are most commonly arranged in reverse-chronological order, with the most recent post appearing on top.
Why would I use Blogs in my course?
Good ideas for using blogs in for teaching online include encouraging reactions to class readings, course content or current news events; or for following up on class discussions with relevant links or materials.
How do I set up a Blog?
- To create a Blog, go to the Course Content section of one of your online courses.
- Under the Tools menu, select Blogs.
- On the next page, click Create New Blog.
- On the Create Blog page, give your blog a name and provide basic instructions for how the wiki is to be used in the given course.
- Scroll down on the Create Blog page, to the Blog Availability options, and make sure your blog is set to Available.
- If desired, you can set limitations on when the blog is available to students.
- Under the Blog Settings options you can also determine whether blog entries are indexed by week or month, and whether or not students can edit their entries, and leave or delete comments.
- At the bottom of the Create Blog page, you have the option to turn on grading for the blog as well as the ability to set a due date.
- When you have finished adjusting the settings of the course blog, press Submit.
- After your blog has been created you will be taken to this page which shows you all of the blogs that have been created in the course.
- Click Next to create a link for the new blog in your Course Content Section.
- Your blog has been successfully created!
How do students use the blog?
- When first entering a new blog students and instructors will see this empty blog page.
- New entries can be added by clicking on the Create Blog Entry button in the upper left corner.
- When creating a blog entry students can add text, pictures, videos, equations, and even attached additional documents.
- Completed blog entries will look like the example below.
How do I grade a Blog in Blackboard?
Click the button below for more information about how to grade a blog with Blackboard’s in-line grading tools.